“We believe that human, animal and environmental health are fundamentally intertwined, and this commitment to One Health is evident in everything we do.”
Dr. Calvin Johnson ‘86
Dean and Professor
When Alabama A&M President William Leroy Broun convinced Iowa State graduate Charles Allen Cary to come to Auburn in 1892 to teach the first veterinary medicine courses ever offered in the state of Alabama, he filled a critical need in a state dominated by agriculture and the need for better livestock care. That need was met so well that in 1907 Alabama Polytechnic Institute, today’s Auburn University, made the veterinary program into a school—the first veterinary school in the Southeast—with Cary as its first dean.
Today, Auburn Vet Med deans are located in James E. Greene Hall, named for the college’s fourth dean, James E. Greene, Sr., which became the college’s main administrative and classroom facility after the veterinary program moved to its 280-acre Wire Road campus. Completed in 1971, the 124,200 gross-square-foot facility includes the dean’s suite, Office of Research and Graduate Studies, veterinary library, lab animal health facility, student Histology and Anatomy Labs, as well as numerous faculty offices and research laboratories for the Departments of Pathobiology and Anatomy, Physiology and Pharmacology.